Do you want some cheese with that whine?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
mblair441
40C crawler
40C crawler

Do you want some cheese with that whine?

Post by mblair441 » Mon May 20, 2024 7:34 pm

Got the right steering clutch put back together and the track connected so it’s time for my 350 B to go to work. It now turns left AND right. Going forward everything sounds good, hit reverse and I get the “whine”. It sounds like a hydraulic pump maxed out on steroids or more like the howl that the mountain lion made after killing one of my calves. Back to forward, everything sounds good. It still has power, forwards and backwards, so I’m not ready to break out the Brie and sing “La vie en rose” every time I’m back dragging, but is this something I need to worry about? The Hy-gard is new and full. Brakes and clutches have been properly adjusted, as far as I can tell. The tracks are pretty tight. I’m in west Texas there are no gravel bottom river beds that I can ride through to loosen tracks. Just quicksand. I went through all the posts previously made on the message board but found nothing directly on point . Am I missing something that is going to cost me a lot more money later if I don’t address it now.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Do you want some cheese with that whine?

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue May 21, 2024 5:54 am

Hi,

My 350C always whines in reverse. I figure it is due to the way they operate the two hydraulic clutch packs and also partly from the reversing shaft.

Of course, not being on your v on mine, I don't know if your whine is the same as mine. Or that my whine is Normal or not as this is the only 350 I have had with a reverser. My older straight 350 didn't have one, just the R in the gearbox.

Sometimes I leave my 350C reverser in forward and use the R in the gearbox. That's if I am working in 2nd gear. But not all 350s have a R in the gearbox when they have a reverser. I have one because it is a winch crawler and you can't use the reverser to back up while also using the winch. But, I mention this in case you do have an R in the gearbox. The R and 2 are set up to switch between without having issues getting it into gear.

However, if you do have an R in the gearbox *never* put it in R and the the reverser in R to go forward. That breaks stuff.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)